The OBA was formed by accident rather by design when the Rev J S Nagle, Principal
of ACS (1913 – 1922) was tasked with fulfilling Bishop William F Oldham’s
vision of building an ACS Collage. The Rev Nagle contacted the Old Boys, some of
whom were distinguished citizens holding prominent positions in society then, to
garner their support to realize Bishop Oldham’s dream. Though this dream failed
to materialize, the ACSOBA was formed. It was officially formed on 10 July 1914,
28 years after ACS was started at Amoy Street.
Throughout the years, the OBA not only provides a venue for the Old Boys to network
among themselves, they also made their presence felt throughout all ACS units via
three distinct events that have since become firm traditions:
The annual Founder’s Day Dinner;
The fund-raising (e.g. the Fun-o-Rama); and
“Past v Present” Games
The Old Boys’ collective loyalty, gratitude, generosity and passion, as seen
in the OBA’s involvement with the ACS units, are the driving forces of the
association that keep it from fading into oblivion.
For a detailed history of the OBA and to trace the various stages of its development,
click here (11 MB) to find out more.